- What is it that you are trying to achieve by participating in triathlon?
- Have you set a goal(s) for the season/month/week/session?
- Do you have a race(s) that you plan to compete in?
- If you have more than one race in mind which race(s) will you make a priority?
- How much time do you have to devote to training?
- How much time do you want to devote to training?
- Could you fit training in as part of a regular daily routine such as biking or running to/from from work?
- What are your strengths and what are your weaknesses?
- Are you prone to injury in a particular discipline and why might this be?
To give you some idea of how a twelve week off-season training plan might be structured for sprint, olympic, middle or long distance triathlon take a look at these training plans prepared by Joe Beer of 22oTriathlon magazine. Just click on the distance: Sprint, Olympic, Middle and Long.